Open-Source Networked Thought
- Notetaking app with bi-directional links and block references, which improves users' ability to create and retrieve associations.
- Particular focus on individuals and enterprises that desire security, privacy, and greater power over their data.
Not impressive but fun, the first Lightning Network App: https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-lightning-risky-maybe-ice-cream-will-tempt
- 1800 stars on GitHub
- 40 contributors
- 1800 followers on Twitter
- $10k/year in OpenCollective sponsorships
- Inception: March 31st, 2020.
7 months, entirely full-time
Increased when I wrote a post saying how Sponsors would be the first beta testers and get the newest updates first.
1. Interviewed at Roam, built Athens POC in a week. Open-source makes more sense for this product, and see huge opportunity for individuals and enterprises.
2. Product expertise: developer and advocate
3. COSS expertise: Commercial OSS developer and speaker
Athens delivers the same primitives as Roam, but gives users more security, privacy, and power over their application and data.
Long-term will out innovate Roam as well via open-source.
Roam and Notion.
Fear an open-source competitor more.
Just how critical open-source will be for innovation and value creation.
We currently support the project based on sponsorships of $10k/year.
We will provide a cloud-hosted SaaS.
The office software space is $80B market, and grows at a rate of ~$1B per year.
Notetaking is the first killer app. After dominating this niche, will create a suite of products that replace CRM, CMS, internal wiki, etc. to capture a large percentage of this market.
Serve C-Suite, consultants, investors insanely well. Rest of the organization will follow.
I do technical work on the product. We've had ~30 code contributors and ~5 design design contributors.
I learn 100x more from founders than anyone else.